American Hangman - Presidents and States
American Hangman - Presidents and States (for Macintosh) is a fun, educational game based on the simple game of hangman we all played as children. American Hangman merges the best of our Presidents3000 and States3000 games into one inexpensive game. American Hangman is a terrific way to learn the Presidents (and Vice Presidents, First Ladies), and all 50 States in the United States (and State Birds, State Capitals, State Flowers, State Nicknames, State Trees.) Non-violent, family software for all ages.
American Hangman is a "secretly-educational" game...without knowing it, you'll find yourself learning an astounding amount of information about all 50 US States and all the Presidents.
This reduced-resolution picture shows a game already in progress. The results of the previous game (Thomas Jefferson) will remain displayed, until the current game is finished. Then, a picture and information about the next guessed item will appear. Hmmmm, I wonder which President is almost guessed. (-:)
American Hangman includes colorful graphics, digitized sounds, and speech synthesis. The speech synthesizer can spell and/or say the name that was just guessed. It can even speak words of encouragement when you win or lose the game. (Registered users can customize the phrases that the speech synthesizer says. The possibilities for fun here are truly endless!)
American Hangman, like our other word-guessing games, is easily accessible by visually-challenged users. The program can easily speak the state of the game, the current category, the number of guesses remaining, etc.
American Hangman features non-violent graphics, a little cultural literacy, and much more. It even includes built-in hints (if desired) for every single word in every category. The hints can be a great source of humor, as well. You can choose to always have hints available, to never have them available, or to only have them as a last resort.
American Hangman Requirements
Requirements: American Hangman is a carbonized Macintosh application. It runs on a vast array of Macintosh computers, both new and old. As a carbonized application, American Hangman will actually work with Mac OS's as old as Mac OS 8.6 and Mac OS 9, as long as Apple's CarbonLib extension (v1.6 or greater) is present. American Hangman also works perfectly with Mac OSX and Intel-based Macintosh computers using Mac OSX's built-in Rosetta. Apple has decided NOT to include Rosetta in the latest Mac OSX (known as Lion), and thus American Hangman cannot be used with Lion. If you are using Lion, you might be better served by purchasing Hangman Pro. Hangman Pro does not require Rosetta, and works perfectly with all versions of Mac OSX, including Lion.
American Hangman Version History
Version 1.0 - Released January 30, 2002
Version 1.0.1 - Released May 9, 2002 - Added the ability to generate an Amazon.com Search Page for books related to the current word category, or to the last guessed word.
Version 2.0.0 - Released August 5, 2002 - Carbonized! American Hangman now runs native on both OS9 and OSX.
Version 2.0.1 - Released August 31, 2002 - Many cosmetic fixes...modal dialogs are now movable, default buttons pulsate (in OSX), etc.
Version 2.0.2 - Released January 20, 2003 - Changed name of game from 'American Hangman' to 'American Hangman - Presidents and States' to better differentiate this game from the more general hangman-type word-guessing game called Hang3000. Also added Special Web Sites menu, updated copyright and other minor cosmetic changes.
Version 2.0.3 - Released May 18, 2003 - Updated contact and web information, enabled easier online registration, etc.
Version 2.0.4 - Released November 3, 2004 - Updated the program to include the results of the November 2, 2004 Presidential election.
Version 2.0.5 - Released March 15, 2005 - Updated the Presidential information, hints, etc.
Version 2.0.6 - Released January 3, 2006 - Updated contact, version and related software information.
Version 2.0.7 - Released October 2, 2006 - Updated menu text, contact information, etc.
Version 2.0.8 - Released February 19, 2007 - Revamped individual, site and district licenses.
Version 2.0.8 - December 12, 2011 - American Hangman for the Macintosh - Price Reduced to just $14.95 for individuals. (When playing the game, the un-discounted price may still be shown. But, at the time of purchase, you'll see the discounted price.)
User Comments on our Word Games...
- "I just downloaded Hangman Plus v4.0 and can't keep my students away from it."
- "Thanks for the great game (Hangman Plus). I tutor children and use the customization feature to reinforce lessons."
- "I can hardly wait until my granddaughter is old enough to play this game with me."
- "It brings back memories of the days I played Hang Man on the chaulkboards of the public school. Our whole family enjoys your game and have competitions with one another over who can get the most words correct without getting hung, and we're learning something at the same time! We have a daughter with special needs, who really enjoys and benefits from this game. She loves word games, and your game motivates her to use the computer more."
- "I highly enjoy your game (on computers) Hangman. I highly play it everyday."
- "Hangman Plus is wonderful! My students love it and the customizing has really helped introduce new vocabulary in a non-threatening environment! Thank You!"
- "We are using it with some of our students who need a little help with their English, and have found they enjoy learning when they think it is just a game."
- "It's lots of fun and I am especially appreciative as the game works well with some of my students. I am a music therapist and I work primarily on a private basis with handicapped students. On their behalf, thank you."
- "Procol Harum ruined my winning streak on the music category of your Hangman Plus, but I won't hold it against you...Truth told: I haven't been so glued to the monitor since way back when Zork was first out...Thanks for making Hangman Plus concise, clever, full of neat sound effects (-and especially for resisting the urge to have Vanna White spin the letters around when you guess them correctly!)...Hangman Plus is gritty, fun, and best of all - IT ROCKS!...P.S. Who ARE Procol Harum anyhow? Was I born before or after their finest hour?"
- "I love your game! Especially the sounds! That laugh. Great! Is it yours?"
- "Your Hangman Plus is the best! I made a hard drive full of education and entertainment games and sent it to a friend for his 7 yr old son. Hangman is his fave! He uses it for spelling homework."
- "I'm a Mac user and I have one of your games called Hangman and I liked some of the graphics and now I have a suggestion for you. This suggestion might be hard. Anyways I know there are a lot of games for a computers and there are games for Nintendo, Sega and Super Initendo, So my suggestion is a new game for the Mac. I'm sure you've heard of Mortal Kombat a game children love for Sega and Super Nintendo and I know you've help make games and I've wondered if it would be possible for you to be able to make a game such as Mortal Kombat for a Mac. I am sure you think that it would be hard work and believe me it probably is. Well don't want to waste most of your time so I'll go. Write back if you have time. P.S. If you do make the game do you think I could have a copy."
- "I love your game Hangman Plus. It scares the living daylights out of my nephew, but he is only one, and shouldn't be playing computer games yet anyway."
- "...I am delighted with Brickles and Hangman and will be using it with one set of grandchildren this week-end and with another set later on...It is a relief to have games that challenge the reflexes and intellect without guns, slaughter, and explicit sex. From six to septuagenarian we are grateful to you."
- "I am a junior high computer teacher. My students used some games on a trial basis this quarter...Your game, Hangman Plus, was in the top five."
- "After playing Hang2000 only once, I was hooked! The graphics and sounds are superb. A perfect tool for educators..."
- "I used your demo of Hang2000 in my middle school special ed class of kids with learning disabilities. You have a winner!"
- "I'll pass the word - wonderful program!"
- "Have tracked your progress over the years -- WOW! The latest versions are wonderful!"
- "I just wanted to let you know how much I am enjoying your game Hang2000-I find it to be positively ADDICTING."
- "This is one of the best kids educational games I have seen in a while. Kids of all ages enjoy the game...even adults. Congratulations on a fine piece of work."
- "Thanks Ken, your games are awesome. Our friends are addicted."
- "My grandchildren and I are having a ball with these games."
- "Hangman was a hit. The students loved it and now are asking to play every day."
- "hey im commentin on ur game Hang2000 IT KICKS MAJOR BUTT AN I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!"
- "Thank you for the info to unlock the features of Hangman 2000. I look forward to procrastinating all those little jobs around the house that will go ignored while I feast upon your little game!"
- "Great game--thanks! I am having fun with it already, and my grandchildren will love it."
- "We LOVE it!!!"
- "...a great version of a classic game that most every child has played."
- "I really enjoy Hang2000. I've found out how much I don't know! :-)"
- "...both your Hangman and Brickles software are among the most popular with my special ed. students."
- "Your games are quite popular on the Mac in my waiting room."
- "Our family is having a blast with this game"
- "Your game has provided many smiles and chuckles, along with increasing knowledge. You are appreciated."
- "I am very impressed with your programs, and I know they will be a wonderful addition for my students here."
- "I think it's great what you're doing for todays' children."
- "It's a riot!"
- "You get my top-dog award. No one offers such personalized help as you. You're quite a guy."
- "Just wanted to let you know, that we are raising our 3 grandchildren, who along with us love your hangman version. Even our 5 1/2 yr. old waits her turn on the computer to play the Christmas words."
- "This game is absolutely charming."
- "My 4 year old child who can barely read loves guessing the letters"
- "Very good game for my grand kids (and me)"
- "My husband is a Stroke Survivor and it is amazing how this game has helped him in word retrieval as his speech was affected, and this is the first thing that he really enjoys doing."
- "Everyone in our family, from the 4th-grader to the old man (me) plays Hangman 3000. It has brought us a great deal of enjoyment. You have a right to feel proud."
- "The Hang3000 is brilliant and a godsend."
- "We got through all 42 [Presidents] by the way, before my wife insisted I put my daughter to bed at about 10:30! (The daughter wanted to go on and try all 50 states in States3000!)"
- "My middle school kids LOVE your programs. Am excited to get your new ones. I just started teaching U.S. History AND Language Arts in my learning disabilities middle school 8th grade class. THANK YOU!"
- "Am sending off your web page to all the teachers I know to pass the word. Also adding annotations on how well your stuff works with my kids."
- "I'm still excited to have my grandson start using the programs. Thanks again - count me as one of our happy customers!"
- "'Hecka cool' is the quote from my 8th grader who tried President's Wives this morning."
- "Good quality enrichment! Thanks again!"
- "Great fun and a good learning tool."
- "Thanks for all your help from me and my daughter she loves the game."
- "I am a single mother of an 12 year old son. I downloaded your Hangman2000 a few days ago and I just wanted to write and say, Thank You. You can't start to imagine how your game has helped my son out in his studies and I want to take this time to commend you for the thought of sharing your software with others."
- "We homeschool and think the games are great for learning and playing!"
- "Your games have made my Grandchildren very happy, which makes me very happy."
- "My grandsons and I were playing Hangman the other day and they really liked it. Brickles is still one of their favorites!"
- "By the way, my kid can't get her hands off AmericanHangman, and she's learning a lot of things American from it. Thanks for writing such a great game."
- "Love it. Great game for the kids and adults, too."
- "I thoroughly enjoyed the use of these programs during my trial period and find them to be very educational as well as just plain FUN!"
- "love your games - keep them coming!"
- "I like it and the kids love it. All the new stuff is a hit."
- "I'm glad that you retained the sexy voice in the Pro version!"
- "I really enjoy Hangman as do my grandchildren. They can't get over how much Grandma knows. Of course, they fail to take into account all the years I've lived and absorbed information: both trivial and worthwhile."
- "She loves Hangman Pro and plays at the assisted living facility where she lives."
- "I love this game. Thanks for the program."
- "The kid likes it!"
- "This is quite a fun little game."
- "I do love the Bible Hangman, and when I have "play time" find myself there."
- "We finally got a new iMac and are very happy that we now have Hangman Pro v2. My wife especially likes playing it. She is disabled and not able to do much at all. This is her favorite game."
- "It does work. Thank you so much. This is the reason it is a pleasure to work with you and your software. You always go the extra mile."
- "Thanx, Ken, for your game. Consider us fans."
- "I am spending sinful amounts of time with the new, and old varieties of Hangman, as well as Brickles!"
- "You make great games!"
- "American Hangman is great. What a wonderful learning tool!"
- "Dearest Ken, My friend has inadvertently deleted your beloved Hangman from my computer!!! My husband is going crazy and needs it from you ASAP. Please send it to me. thanks for helping me out..... he loves it!!!!"
- "I've been playing Hangman since 1992! I love it!"
- "I want to thank you for your terrific games...the Hangman varieties. Do you have others as well? I find them helpful as a person with disabilities because of m.s.The games seem to help me think clearly, and the required dexterity of my hands to play is not too much, as in other games."
- "MY 11 YEAR OLD AND I LOVE YOUR GAMES"
- "I help run a Sunday school in Surrey in UK and we use your Hangman Bible game as a little light entertainment at the end of the session. The participants even ask for it so they certainly enjoy it."
- "I don't remember where I found your products, but I like them and so does my mom. Thanks."
- "Thanks Ken This game has already provided hours of fun for the family. i will checkout your other products."
- "I have really enjoyed your hangman game I purchased last year as have our church youth and my nieces."
- "Finally thanks to your kind help. I am now having a ball with the Hangman Pro game. Thanks so much for putting up with my requests for help. I really appreciated all you did."
- "I have been playing with Hang Man Pro Love the game very well done...WOW that is Awsome very nice work I love how everything is so customizable we are using it for our church class I will be buying soon thank you."
- "I love the Hangman Bible program and wish to get it for our non-profit youth center."
- "My husband has some kind of early dementia and this [Hangman Pro] was the first game I've found that he truly enjoys."
- "I recently bought Hangman Pro and I'm hooked. It's simplistic and fun."
- "Bottom line.. it is a cool product and the kids really enjoyed it. Thanks again for the quick response.. It made all the difference."
Last Modified: January 1, 2013